Banana bread as smash cake alternative
Every kid loves sweet stuff and a smash cake is a must have for many first birthday parties.
I love cake too so I can’t really say anything but I am all for healthy alternatives if possible.
When my daughter turned a year old I definitely wanted her to have a smash cake but one without loads of sugar and food coloring.
She has always loved bananas so I thought why not make a banana bread as the base of the healthy smash cake?
There are affiliate links in this post, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will be compensated if you click through and take action. For full disclosure click here.
What you need
For the Banana Bread:
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 + 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (I cut that in half for even less added sugar or use a sugar alternative)
- 1 Egg
- A pinch of baking powder
- A few drops of vanilla (this is optional)
- 2 tbsp Oil (I used canola oil)
- Mini springform pan
- Mixing bowl
Optional: Nuts (careful – not before 1 year of age)
This is the one I used – It comes in a set of three so you can even make multiple layer mini cakes.
For the frosting:
- Heavy whipping cream
- Freeze dried fruit (we used strawberry)
- Rolling Pin
Tip: The Dollar tree has freeze dried fruit too.
How to make it
- Start by smashing the bananas (this can be easily done with a fork) in a bowl.
- Add Sugar, Oil, Egg and optional ingredients.
- Mix flour with baking powder and add it to the mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Fill it in the form and bake it at 350F for about 45 minutes. (You should always check with a toothpick if it is cooked trough)
- Let to cool down before opening the springform.
This will be the easiest frosting you ever made and it is so delicious without extra sugar.
- Crush the freeze dried fruit with the rolling pin while still sealed inside the bag. (Alternatively you can buy freeze dried fruit as powder)
- Whip the heavy whipping cream until it has a good volume and stands on it’s own.
- Carefully add the freeze dried fruit to the cream and mix it together.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the cake. You could also cut the cake in half and spread a layer in between.
- Decorate the cake with more frosting and fresh fruit.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe!
Do you need ways to keep your kid entertained while working from home? Get access to my free printable library with over 150 pages of fun worksheets, coloring pages and craft projects.